This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Gift from Spain to UK/NL

taxdilemma
Gift from Spain to UK/NL

Postby taxdilemma » Sun May 06, 2018 8:19 am

Hello,

I am due to receive a gift of approx €100k late this year. It is from a family member (British resident) who is selling a property in Spain. I am British but have been non resident for many years, currently resident in the Netherlands. What are the tax implications for me if this money is paid to me in a) the UK or b) the Netherlands? If the amount is an issue it could be split with separate payments to my husband and I and potentially between the UK and the Netherlands.

Thanks!

maths

Re: Gift from Spain to UK/NL

Postby maths » Wed May 09, 2018 7:20 pm

If the donor is UK domiciled or deemed UK domiciled then if he/she dies within 7 years of making the gift a charge to UK inheritance tax may arise on your part.

If the donor is not UK domiciled or deemed domiciled UK IHT is avoided if the gift is from an overseas located bank account.

taxdilemma

Re: Gift from Spain to UK/NL

Postby taxdilemma » Tue May 15, 2018 11:54 am

Thanks! No the donor is not domiciled so if he dies within the next seven years I may be liable to pay inheritance tax but not initially?

Return to “International Tax”