This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

gifting home to son continuing to live in it

markedman
gifting home to son continuing to live in it

Postby markedman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:52 pm

Hi

9 years ago my mother was advised by solicitor/accountant to gift her home to me and continue to live in it

she has lived their alone and paid a market rent for the duration (to which ive declared to hmrc and paid tax on)

she is now old and frail and may need full time professional care in a nursing home

how does this affect things re inheritence tax if she has to leave the house, given that she has well exceeded the 7 years?

i know there are differences between a PET and GWR.

maths

Re: gifting home to son continuing to live in it

Postby maths » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:10 pm

The original gift was a PET and a gift with reservation. However, as she paid a market rent the reservation provisions did not apply. The PET is now irrelevant, mother having survived for 7 years.

If she now vacates the gifted property she is not required to continue to pay a market rent.

The house simply falls out of account i.e. does not form part of her estate on death.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”