This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Grandmother wants to give me a few hundred K

XR101
Grandmother wants to give me a few hundred K

Postby XR101 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:31 am

My dear grandmother who lives abroad wants to give me a large sum of money, 6 figures.

I would consider it a gift/inheritance. Would I be liable for ANY tax although she is alive now?

Any advise on how to minimize tax for this?

AGoodman

Re: Grandmother wants to give me a few hundred K

Postby AGoodman » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:16 am

We need more information, chiefly:

1. Where does she live;
2. Where is the money; and
3. Where is your grandmother domiciled (for starters, where is she from, how long has she been where she is and does she intend to stay there).

XR101

Postby XR101 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:26 pm

We need more information, chiefly:

1. Where does she live;
2. Where is the money; and
3. Where is your grandmother domiciled (for starters, where is she from, how long has she been where she is and does she intend to stay there).

1. She is a non UK national residing in Iran.
2. Money is abroad - outside of UK/EU.
3. Resident of Iran, lived there since birth, and intends to stay there for good.

In her opinion and own words she reckons she has at least 10 years left knowing her own health and how long her siblings lived.

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:47 am

In that case, there should not be any UK IHT as the cash will be excluded property and therefore not covered by IHT.

I don't know whether there is any tax in Iran. They definitely have an inheritance tax and I suspect they may have a gift tax as well.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”