This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Higher Rate Stamp Duty

Andyp2801
Higher Rate Stamp Duty

Postby Andyp2801 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:09 pm

Good Morning,

My girlfriend and I are interesting in buying a property jointly with a joint mortgage.

We are in a fortunate position where I own a property that is rented out currently and my partner also has a property that she wants to keep and rent out.

I am aware that we will pay the higher rate of stamp duty as it is classed as a second home, however my question is do we both pay the higher rate as we both have second homes or is it just one lump sum payable between us?

Thanks
Andy

SDLT Geek

Re: Higher Rate Stamp Duty

Postby SDLT Geek » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:24 pm

You pay an extra 3% on the purchase price of the property being bought, so it is between you.

The 3% surcharge is due either on the whole of the price or not all. It makes no difference to the amount of SDLT due that it is due both because of your circumstances and the circumstances of your girlfriend.

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”