This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Hindu Undivided Family (HUF)

le_eswiss
Hindu Undivided Family (HUF)

Postby le_eswiss » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:27 pm

Hi,

Would anyone know if income is generated in a Hindu Undivided Family (HUF) that I am a Karta for in India, will that be taxable as my income in the UK?
Or could anyone recommend a UK Tax accountant familiar with UK taxation of earnings in India?

Thanks

AnthonyR

Re: Hindu Undivided Family (HUF)

Postby AnthonyR » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:18 am

Just resurrecting a very old post with a similar question.

I've been asked about a HUF on behalf of a client of an IFA. Seems that it's tax exempt under Indian law, however, I'm then trying to work out how the holding is treated from a UK tax point of view for a UK res and deemed dom client.

Does anyone have any experience of how HMRC treat it? Is it considered a partnership, a trust or something else? I'm not even sure if there is a formal constitutional document to review. I'm leaning towards thinking that it's likely to be a partnership rather than a formal trust arrangement, particularly with ownership and control passing down the generations.
Anthony Rogers LLB CTA TEP
Fusion Partners LLP
anthony@fusionpartners.co.uk

Return to “International Tax”