This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

HMRC Tax Return

martin.stevens1
HMRC Tax Return

Postby martin.stevens1 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:10 am

Sorry for the length of this message but not sure if this is any ones thing here or if someone can point me in the right direction for help...
HMRC raised an estimated tax return against me which I didn’t get to hear about for 5 years due to moving, then applied an outdated law requiring changes to be made within 12 months. I now owe them £14K tax for money they know and agree I never earned or was paid. I also now have a CCJ against my name due to them taking me to court for this. The court sent the hearing date to the wrong address (which once again HMRC have admitted in writing that they knew) yet they aren’t willing to set aside this judgment to allow me to defend myself.
They’ve now applied an attachment of earnings to my salary and significantly increased my tax coding to claw this money from me.
Two separate MP’s have tried and failed (neither one managing to get HMRC to accept the fact I was blissfully unaware of the required return and so had no chance to update it during the 12 month period allowed. Incredibly they still insisted I raised a return for this period- even though once I did, they refused to apply the actual return tax implication due of just £2, because it was raised after 12 months.
This is of course outright extortion and I’m now left wondering what else I can do!
Any help, advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Martin

DSW TaxResolution

Re: HMRC Tax Return

Postby DSW TaxResolution » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:17 pm

Sent you a pm if you wish to discuss further, but as a starting point, have you set out your case via the HMR complaints process? Id say that's reasonable start as id be keen to hear their thoughts on how this is acceptable.
www.dswcapital.com
Tax Investigation Service

bd6759

Re: HMRC Tax Return

Postby bd6759 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:11 pm

Your remedy is Special Relief:

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/self-assessment-claims-manual/sacm12220

http://taxaid.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Special-Relief-How-to-claim.pdf

Return to “Income Tax”