This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

House to give away for free to a family member

Chad_1
House to give away for free to a family member

Postby Chad_1 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:04 am

Ok so my brother has a house which he owns out right which he wants to give to me for free but we are unsure about tax issues if he give me the house would we have to pay any tax .the house value is to be around £150000 he brought it for 97500 but which I have maintained and extended and spent money on please help

Lee Young

Re: House to give away for free to a family member

Postby Lee Young » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:35 am

If it has not been your brother's main residence then there will be a CGT issue when he gives you the property and an IHT risk for the seven years after the gift.
Lee Young
Solicitor, Chartered Tax Adviser and Trust and Estate Practitioner

Partner, Frettens LLP
lyoung@frettens.co.uk
01202 491701

Chad_1

Postby Chad_1 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:33 am

If it has not been your brother's main residence then there will be a CGT issue when he gives you the property and an IHT risk for the seven years after the gift.
Please advise best way to do this or any way which it can be done

maths

Postby maths » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:42 pm

You need to state whether your brother lives in the property or ever has lived in it.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”