This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

How is tax calculated against prepaid tax?

ToniS
How is tax calculated against prepaid tax?

Postby ToniS » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:30 pm

Hi. Can anyone advise me please? I have filled my 15-16 tax return in, but not yet submitted it because I have a query. I was self employed during the period (but am not any more). Between payments in both Jan 16 and Jul 16, I prepaid tax for this 15-16 tax period. I have now filled the form in and the calculation states that I owe money (when does the prepaid tax amount get calculated against the current calculation? Is it after I've submitted?)

I'm asking because when I view the calculation it doesn't seem to take the 2 payments that I've already made into account. I'm confused!

Thanks, in advance.

JRG

Re: How is tax calculated against prepaid tax?

Postby JRG » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:10 pm

From reading other postings I understand that prepayments are not included when HMRC calculates your self assessment tax return tax liability.

You should have had a Statement of Account from HMRC recently which details any prepayments. If not, you should access your online tax account to see what your current status is.

ToniS

Re: How is tax calculated against prepaid tax?

Postby ToniS » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:47 pm

Hi. Thank you for your response. I checked the statement of account and it states the 2 prepayments that I made. I've now submitted my tax return, so am just waiting for confirmation.

Thank you for your reply.

Toni

Return to “General”