This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

How necessary is it to get formal valuations for IHT

Umar
How necessary is it to get formal valuations for IHT

Postby Umar » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:51 pm

Hi

How important is it to get a formal RICs valuation for IHT calc purposes?
I just don't want to have to pay for it, and am just wondering if I could do the valuations only if HMRC enquire.

pawncob

Re: How necessary is it to get formal valuations for IHT

Postby pawncob » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:26 pm

It depends on what's being valued.
Quoted/unquoted share valuations can be done by almost anyone, as can freeholds/leaseholds etc, but if it comes to an argument it's best to have a professional valuation as it may carry more weight and be backed by valid opinions.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Lee Young

Re: How necessary is it to get formal valuations for IHT

Postby Lee Young » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:53 pm

If IHT is in question in the estate then a formal valuation of property should be obtained as it shows HMRC that the executors were trying to do their job properly by employing professionals in the valuations. If they do not, and HMRC allege an underpayment, a "bag of the fag packet" valuation that turns out to be wrong could lead to the executors being penalised and if I were the beneficiary of that estate I would not expect to pay that penalty from what I am otherwise going to inherit.
Lee Young
Solicitor, Chartered Tax Adviser and Trust and Estate Practitioner

Partner, Frettens LLP
lyoung@frettens.co.uk
01202 491701

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”