This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

IHT Allowance transfer.

phil4711
IHT Allowance transfer.

Postby phil4711 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:41 am

I will need to transfer the unused allowance from Mrs A(deceased) to MR A(on his death) I can get a death certificate for Mrs A,and a marriage certificate,but I can't find a will for when Mrs A died,is this going to be a problem?

AGoodman

Re: IHT Allowance transfer.

Postby AGoodman » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:47 pm

It depends. You haven't mentioned whether a will existed and/or whether probate was ever taken out.

It is generally best endeavours and HMRC understand that document were not always kept from periods before the nil rate bands were transferable.

Two options are to ask them for any records they may have kept from the original estate or, if there was a grant of probate, it might be found here:

https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate

I imagine you have tried the solicitors who prepared the will and/or helped with the administration? You need some way of identifying whether any legacies were made to anybody other than Mr A so that the transferable NRB can be quantified.

phil4711

Re: IHT Allowance transfer.

Postby phil4711 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:56 pm

Hi,many thanks for your response.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”