This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

IHT/Disabled Persons Trust

oldjohn41
IHT/Disabled Persons Trust

Postby oldjohn41 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:25 pm

One of my sons is disabled and I have set up a Disabled Persons Trust fund for him. Is any money left to him in my will, and specified as to be paid into that trust, exempt from IHT completely? Or must that money come out of what is left of my estate after IHT has been paid?

AGoodman

Re: IHT/Disabled Persons Trust

Postby AGoodman » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:35 pm

No, gifts made in your lifetime are potentially exempt transfers and become exempt if you survive for 7 years. (the advantage is that a gift to a "regular" discretionary trust is immediately chargeable).
Sums left to the trust under your will are taxable in the normal way - i.e. the sums are included in your estate when IHT is calculated.

A disabled trust also benefits from not suffering 10 yearly charges and exit charges, which are usually payable by discretionary trusts.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”