This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

IHT liability

George22222
IHT liability

Postby George22222 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:09 pm

My wife and I own our house as tenants in common. I own four fifths, she owns one fifth. The house is worth about £385,000. I have savings and other assets of about £220,000. We have no mortgage or other debts. We have no joint accounts. I would like to make a will leaving my share of the house to my wife, and my savings and assets to my sister. Would my estate be liable for inheritance tax and what is the calculation to show this? By the way, I'm not as callous as I might sound. My wife is seriously ill and unlikely to survive me. This is an "in case I fall under a bus" type will.

AGoodman

Re: IHT liability

Postby AGoodman » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:45 am

No, everything to your wife is exempt from IHT and you can leave £325,000 to other people tax free using your nil rate band.

George22222

Re: IHT liability

Postby George22222 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:09 pm

Thanks very much for that.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”