This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

IHT main residence & transfers

Yiannis17
IHT main residence & transfers

Postby Yiannis17 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:06 am

Morning

I am in dispute with a solicitor as there is a query on what I have suggested to do for a client.

I have an elderly couple with an expensive main residence, no mortgage. The property is held as joint tenants.

I have suggested a transfer of 20% to the children who are still there. The Balance of 80% to be held by the husband and wife. My suggestion was for this 80% to be still held as joint tenants.

I was informed that this would need to be held as tenants in common, ie 40% husband and 40% wife. If on the first death then the 40% of the house will fall in the estate is that correct?

maths

Re: IHT main residence & transfers

Postby maths » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:37 pm

H and W hold the legal title as joint tenants (can't be held as tents in common).

They hold the legal title for H and W as joint beneficial tenants (50/50).

If H or W give 20% to S (or each gift 10% to S) then the partial alienation(s) cause a severance to occur of H"s and W's beneficial interests.

As a consequence, post the gifts, H, W and S will each hold their beneficial interest as tenants in common 40/40/20.

However, there is then nothing to prevent H and W declaring that as legal title holders they hold the title on trust as to 20% for S as tenant in common and as to 40% each for H and W as joint tenants.

Maybe a property lawyer can comment on my view.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”