This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Importing and Selling art

DColes
Importing and Selling art

Postby DColes » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:14 pm

If a business imports art on a Temporary Bond with a shipper into the UK my understanding if the artwork is sold is that import VAT of 5% of the sale price is paid plus the duty to the shipper that holds the bond. My question is if the business sells the art to a UK client and the business is VAT registered does the business still charge the 20% on the sale as well as paying the 5% import VAT? Also is the 5% Import VAT claimable on a VAT return?

Thanks, Daniel

Lavender2306

Re: Importing and Selling art

Postby Lavender2306 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:13 pm

If a business imports art on a Temporary Bond with a shipper into the UK my understanding if the artwork is sold is that import VAT of 5% of the sale price is paid plus the duty to the shipper that holds the bond. My question is if the business sells the art to a UK client and the business is VAT registered does the business still charge the 20% on the sale as well as paying the 5% import VAT? Also is the 5% Import VAT claimable on a VAT return?

Thanks, Daniel
Hi Daniel,

Let's clarify the scenario and if I get something wrong, please, let me know.
So you have a business A which imports artwork under suspension of customs duties and import VAT. A is a UK vat registered business.
A is an importer and it is its obligation to pay duties and import VAT on any sold items.
A sells an artwork to a UK customer B. As a general rule A will need to charge UK vat on the sold item.
However, there is VAT marginal scheme should be available for artwork. I am not very familiar with this marginal scheme so you will need to read about it on HMRC's website.

In its vat return A will show the following:
Box 1 Output vat amount charged to B
Box 4. Import VAT paid to customs, provided it has a vat certificate

Thus import vat is paid as a result of importation of the artwork to the UK
and the UK VAT is charged because the sale of the artwork to a uk customer is a standard rated uk supply.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”