This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

In Dire Need of Help!

alux1992
In Dire Need of Help!

Postby alux1992 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:30 pm

Hi all,

I am at a complete stump as to how to pay my tax/reclaim my paid tax.

Background: I am now 25 years old, in my final year of uni full-time. In the summer of 2016 I was doing some labouring for a scaffolding firm, I was told I would have to register as self-employed and give a UTR number to stop my employer taking 30% emergency tax from my earnings. So I registered as self-employed and received my UTR number. Things were not working out with the work I was doing so I decided to stop working with the firm. I had only done 4-5 weeks work with them which had all been "emergency taxed" by themselves anyway. I stopped working and returned to uni in September.

Fast-forward 7 months and I began employment for a new company (not self-employed). I have since then been getting taxed regularly. From my calculations I should not be getting taxed as I am a student and earn below the threshold. However, I am unable to claim any tax back without completing a self-assessed tax return for those 4-5 works labouring with the scaffolders! I have absolutely no idea how to complete this return. I cannot do it online as I can't work out the login procedure. The live chat is of almost no help.

I have also just found out that I need to register myself as no longer self-employed which I did not know I needed to do either. I have no paperwork or invoices from my "boss" at the labouring firm to prove what I earned etc.

Any advice on how to begin the process of claiming back my tax would be greatly appreciated. I find the HMRC website and communication very frustrating.

Many thanks,
Alex

robbob

Re: In Dire Need of Help!

Postby robbob » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:10 am

Hello Alux
Fast-forward 7 months and I began employment for a new company (not self-employed). I have since then been getting taxed regularly. From my calculations I should not be getting taxed as I am a student and earn below the threshold.
all you will need to do is ring hmrc - tell them your current employment is the only employment you have had this tax year (presuming this is the case from 6/4 this year and you have had no taxable benefits) and that you want your full allowance allocated against this employment source on a cumulative basis - once they action this you will not pay tax is long as your projected earnings fall below the personal allowance
Fast-forward 7 months and I began employment for a new company (not self-employed). I have since then been getting taxed regularly. From my calculations I should not be getting taxed as I am a student and earn below the threshold. However, I am unable to claim any tax back without completing a self-assessed tax return for those 4-5 works labouring with the scaffolders! I have absolutely no idea how to complete this return. I cannot do it online as I can't work out the login procedure. The live chat is of almost no help.
Start up by registering for your government gateway asap

https://www.gov.uk/log-in-file-self-ass ... tax-return

collate info to go on tax return - this will be all taxable income - employment / self employed / interest recd non isa accounts etc- for self employed work you should have cis voucher or similar detailing gross income (what you declare as sales) and tax deducted - you will enter this info and this amount will be refunded if your total income for the year is below the personal allowance level. this will be for period 6/4/16-5/4/17

Do some background reading on the hmrc site

4 You will need to let hmrc know your self employment ceased - this notification can be done online via the following link

https://www.gov.uk/stop-being-self-employed

5 post back here or contact hmrc phone line if you are confused when it comes to the tax return completion.

Return to “Income Tax”