This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Income+Dividend+CGT

MickyV
Income+Dividend+CGT

Postby MickyV » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

I am interested in "which order" the three taxes are assessed and hope somebody can help.

This year (17/18) I expect to earn £40k from regular income, plus £20k in Capital Gain on a second property. I can also pay myself a £5k Dividend from my business. I understand that my £5k Dividend should be tax-free.

If I am able to consider my Capital Gain BEFORE my Dividend, what would leave me with £5k still of my Basic Rate band so I pay 18% on the first £5k of my Capital Gain and 28% on the other £15k. However, if I have to consider the Dividend first, although tax-free it will still eat up my Basic Rate band so I have to pay 28% on all £20k of my Capital Gain.

Which is correct, please?

bd6759

Re: Income+Dividend+CGT

Postby bd6759 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:20 pm

CGT rates are always treated as if they were the last source of income.

MickyV

Postby MickyV » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:56 pm

CGT rates are always treated as if they were the last source of income.
Thank you

On the HMRC Website it says:

How you pay tax on dividends
How you pay depends on the amount of dividend income you got in the tax year.

Less than £5,000
You don’t need to do anything or pay any tax.

Does that mean I do not have to include it on my Self Assessment Return? (In which case it will calculate the first £5k of my Capital Gain at Basic Rate)

wamstax

Postby wamstax » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:12 pm

You must still show the dividend income but the first 5000 is effectively charged at a nil rate
regards and hope this helps
http://www.wamstaxltd.com
Operates Nationally with competitive costs
and email and phone contact (mob 07751720507) can be obtained from websites

MickyV

Postby MickyV » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:30 pm

Thank you

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”