This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Income tax funds won't be in place when January comes around

phteven79
Income tax funds won't be in place when January comes around

Postby phteven79 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:48 pm

Hi everyone

I'd completely forgotten about this in the aftermath of my limited company problems.

I voluntarily put my limited company into liquidation as I was unable to meet the tax liabilities when they came around. I was a one man band contracting in IT.

I never got to grips with it and used accounting services rather than an accountant, the liquidators have of course since educated me on the things that the two firms I used never schooled me on in terms of managing the money properly. What's done is done.

I'm not in permanent work but have just entered a debt management plan. Putting all the debts together it dawned on me that I'll be due to do a self assessment at the end of this year for the 2015/16 tax year and whatever it comes back with as a due amount, I won't have it.

How do I engage with HMRC over this? The upshot is they can threaten me with as much as they want, the money just doesn't exist so I won't be able to make the payment and I'm told they have a limited amount of patience with payment plans. Could they put me on one of those punitive K tax codes? Make me bankrupt? (I can't say I'd be entirely upset by the last one, it would wipe my debts out and my car would be paid for by the time that happened.) Or can I approach them now at this early stage and ask for their help?

Any advice appreciated :?

Return to “Income Tax”