This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

inheritance tax brain freeze!

AGoodman
Re: inheritance tax brain freeze!

Postby AGoodman » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:56 pm

No, your father's estate passed to your mother so was spouse exempt and did not use up his nil rate band (assuming your parents were married). It remains available in full.

I think you are confused about 2007. I don't know of any rules that prevent it. The regular transferable NRB was introduced in 2007 but that is irrelevant - its the regular (rather than additional/residential) NRB and it turns on the death of the survivor not the first to die. If you post a link it can be confirmed.

pcplum

Postby pcplum » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:13 pm

Hi goodman.

I was reading this and the examples shown:

https://www.pruadviser.co.uk/knowledge-literature/knowledge-library/transferable-nil-rate-band-facts/

If this is not the case then how much NRB do I have?

325k plus 125k plus 263k?

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:25 pm

Your mother will have £850k (£325+325+100+100) as of now if she leaves the property (or proceeds from it) to descendents. This will increase to £900k on 6 April when the RNRB increases to £125k (hers + transfer).

The transferable nil rate band is a %age of the current NRB so £325,000 is transferable. Your father did not use his so the current full amount would be transferable.

The 2007 date is referring to the death of the survivor - ie your mother who is still alive.

pcplum

Postby pcplum » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:39 am

Hi agoodman,

Thank you so much for clearing that up!

Nicely laid out for me. I've struggled to grasp this whole IHT thing which I think is far too complex by the government.

But you have cleared it up for me. Thanks again my friend! Really appreciate it!

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”