This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Inheritance tax from US??

JudeKS
Inheritance tax from US??

Postby JudeKS » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:25 pm

Hi everyone - desperately need advice on this one. I received $28,000 inheritance from an American aunt, of which their IRS deducted $8,000. I have now received a 1099-R Form from America which I believe I need if I wanted to claim the tax back. Question is how do I go about claiming it back? And am I even entitled to claim it back?

I keep getting conflicting advice so am none the wiser - just more confused and frustrated!!! HELP?!! Thanks Judy

AGoodman

Re: Inheritance tax from US??

Postby AGoodman » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:30 pm

You need to speak to a true professional with US qualifications. There are plenty in London.

The form suggests income tax was deducted, not estate tax, so maybe the monies came from a pension fund or similar rather than just being a straight inheritance (where I would not expect any deduction). Have you tried asking the person administering the estate?

DavidTreitel

Re: Inheritance tax from US??

Postby DavidTreitel » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:20 pm

As the first IRS ITIN Acceptance Agent in the UK back in the year 2000 our firm has helped hundreds of clients successfully obtain ITINs and reclaim US tax in identical circumstances.

With kind regards

David Treitel | Managing Director | American Tax Returns Ltd
The Old Exchange, 12 Compton Road, London, SW19 7QD

Tel: 020 3542 6330

Email: david.treitel@americantaxreturns.co.uk

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”