This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Inheriting property that is currently rented to pay care home fees, what I'll be our tax liability once we become owners

LouiseH
Inheriting property that is currently rented to pay care home fees, what I'll be our tax liability once we become owners

Postby LouiseH » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:01 pm

My sister and I will shortly jointly inherit our mother's house valued at approximately£185k. We had just started to rent it out whilst it is still in her name in order to top up her care home fees. Other than income tax on the rental income, are there any other tax implications we need to take into account if we opt to sell it after renting it for 6 months? Wil it be classed as a second property for stamp duty for example? We are tied in to a 6 month contract with the letting agents (signed half an hour before our mother was admitted to hospital) but wonder if it is better to default on that ( no tenancy yet agreed) and pay the default fee if we are going to be liable for the stamp duty and CGT on the sale (there is no mortgage on the property and as we didn't buy it would we have to pay CGT on the whole sale price?)

Apologies for lots of questions about this and any help is
much appreciated.

Many thanks

Louise

someone

Re: Inheriting property that is currently rented to pay care home fees, what I'll be our tax liability once we become ow

Postby someone » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:22 am

No SDLT on sales. It will only be an issue if one of you is buying their first home while owning it.

CGT will be based on the price you inherited it at. If you expect to pay any then letting is probably a good idea as that indicates the price is going up - quickly if you're expecting to make a gain of 20K in 6 months.

Where there might be an issue is if you expect to make a loss in the first six months. Possibly doesn't matter anyway as there is a change of circumstance but, for example, replacement windows might not be offsetable against income.

Return to “Property Taxation”