This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Interest Income Tax

Anchorpoint
Interest Income Tax

Postby Anchorpoint » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:08 am

I live in Sweden, Swedish citizen and am contemplating an investment in UK

Let us assume that the investment will make 20.000 interest income and that I will fund the investment with a loan with an interest cost of 10.000

Is it the so that I will be taxed for the net interest income, in this case 10.000 ? (which is within the free allowance)

How is the reporting to the HMRC? Will they know that I have done business in UK and ask me for a SA ?

Thanks!

darthblingbling

Re: Interest Income Tax

Postby darthblingbling » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:03 pm

Basic answer without knowing all the fact is likely you won't have tax to pay in the UK, but you will be taxed as normal in Sweden

maths

Re: Interest Income Tax

Postby maths » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:55 pm

If the income to which you refer constitutes "interest" within the terms of the UK/Sweden DTA then no UK tax is chargeable on it (whether or not any borrowing interest is tax deductible or not).

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”