This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Is selling an investment liable for tax?

flydigital
Is selling an investment liable for tax?

Postby flydigital » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:02 pm

Take this example:
I buy an investment for £100 and it rises to £1000. I then sell it as I think the price is going to drop. The price doesn’t drop and continues to climb. So I buy back in and now one the shares again more or less.
At one point I was £900 in profit sitting in the trading platform balance sheet Is that transaction liable to capital gains tax?

robbob

Re: Is selling an investment liable for tax?

Postby robbob » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:37 am

Is that transaction liable to capital gains tax?

It depends upon the timing of the transactions whether there is a share pool involved etc- very nicely worked example here - warning this is based on prior year rules but i am not aware of any specific changes this year.

http://www.accaglobal.com/uk/en/student ... -2017.html

I am presuming you are aware of the capital gains annual exempt amount of £11,300 (17/18)

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:37 pm

The general rule is yes, you have made a gain of £900 and acquired a new asset with a new base cost of the purchase price.

As mentioned above, the position is much more complicated for securities, including shares.

hungryfor knowledge

Postby hungryfor knowledge » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:34 am

Dear Sir/Madam,
I would be grateful if you could kindly answer the following CGT related questions

1 selling existing BTL property and use the gain to pay off another BTL property loan. will I be liable for CGT?
2.use same the gain to buy another BTL property?any cut liability ? what is the time frame I need to use the gain to invest in a new BTL property?

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:12 am

There is a taxable gain on the sale.

There is no relief or exemption for paying off a debt or acquiring another property.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”