This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Is Tax Expert Advice / Consultancy VATable?

Bizman
Is Tax Expert Advice / Consultancy VATable?

Postby Bizman » Wed May 09, 2018 11:31 pm

I spoke to a tax expert at a long-standing UK financial / taxation consultancy and he stated categorically that the tax advice / consultancy he provides will not be subject to VAT. I hadn't heard of that before.

However, another tax expert has just told me he would add VAT on his tax consultancy charges.

I've tried Googling it, but not been able to find any information.

Could somebody enlighted me please?

Thanks a lot.

greybags1

Re: Is Tax Expert Advice / Consultancy VATable?

Postby greybags1 » Fri May 11, 2018 3:04 pm

Whether VAT is charged or not depends on many factors - what is being provided, by whom, where do they 'reside', are they registered for VAT, where do you 'reside' etc? For example a UK VAT registered accountant preparing a UK personal tax return for a UK individual who lives aboard no VAT is charged as per Ssch4A VATA 1994 Part 3 16(2)(d).

Bizman

Re: Is Tax Expert Advice / Consultancy VATable?

Postby Bizman » Fri May 11, 2018 5:32 pm

Thank you for the response.

I'm in the UK and the service provider is in the UK. They are a fairly large outfit, so I'm certain they would be over the VAT threshold.

I'm just wondering if this service is normally VATable or not? I've not heard of it being exempt (but it'd be great if it was).

Return to “General”