This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Land tax/capital gauns ??

OKG
Land tax/capital gauns ??

Postby OKG » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:19 pm

My mum owns a piece of land , not joined to her main residence. She has planning permission to build 2 properties, one for her and one for me.She wants to divide the land and give 2/3rds to me to build a house and keep the other third to build a house for her that eventually will be inherited by my 3 sisters.
What is the best thing for her to do in terms of CGT or land tax?
Do I buy the land from her for a nominal fee and she gifts the other third to my sister's now?
Many thanks

AdamS93

Re: Land tax/capital gauns ??

Postby AdamS93 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:45 am

CGT will be due on disposal, whether that is via sale or via gift (most probably).

You need to be aware of the transaction in land rules - your Mum may not only be paying CGT there may be some income tax/national insurance as well.

Best to get paid for tailored advice - the money at stake is probably quite significant.

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”