This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Land transffering to Limited Company

Land transffering to Limited Company

Postby 170872 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:35 pm

Hello, I have a question and hope someone can share some light.

I have a house with large land and plan to set up a Limited company and transfer the land into the Limited company and build property in it. We do not have any mortgage.

The land will be transferred at £120K. In the Limited company there will be two directors me and my wife.

I understand there will be no Stamp Duty. Will there be Capital Gain and any other tax implications that we need to be aware of before we go ahead.

Thanks

bd6759

Re: Land transffering to Limited Company

Postby bd6759 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:55 pm

SDLT may be payable. It depends on the value of the land. You will need to establish that first.

CGT depends on how much land there is with your house. If it is more than 0.5 hectare then the disposal might not be wholly covered by residence relief.

AdamS93

Re: Land transffering to Limited Company

Postby AdamS93 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:05 pm

I can't see why there would be no SDLT payable since you are transferring the land to a limited company the surcharge is very likely to apply.

Also, don't just assume it is CGT you will be subject to. Have a look at the transactions in land rules, you may be subject to income tax and national insurance on the 'development value of the land'.

To be perfectly honest, I would seriously consider why to think transferring the land to the company is beneficial at all - double taxation on profit extraction and when you sell the property, potentially ATED, paying for proeprty revaluations on a regular basis to comply with FRS, indexation relief being frozen from Jan 2018 just to name a few.

Holding property in a ltd company is for landlords with large portfolios that are highly geared.

There are also VAT implications depending on what you plan on doing with the company not to mention IHT considerations.

Return to “Property Taxation”