This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Late self-employment registration; NIC and trading allowance

jason13
Late self-employment registration; NIC and trading allowance

Postby jason13 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:20 pm

A friend of mine is a 19 year old student who started doing some tutorials to earn some money while at uni. She didn't register as self employed since her income is much less than the personal allowance.

1) She started giving tutorials in September 2017. I understand she should have registered as self-employed by 5 October. How likely is it that she'll get f
ined if she registers now? All her earnings (some tutorials and a summer job) are far below the personal allowance.

2) Can you pay NI class 2 if you're within the £1000 trading allowance? (I believe she was above last year, but not sure about this year).

RMC

Re: Late self-employment registration; NIC and trading allowance

Postby RMC » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:00 am

a) She won't get fined if se registers now.
b) Yes.

Return to “Income Tax”