This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

LET TO BUY

djjibran
LET TO BUY

Postby djjibran » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:05 pm

Dear all,

I'm in process of buying a second home. I'm converting my first home (which is just in my name) to CONSENT TO LEASE with HALIFAX (which is same as Let to buy or buy to let) and buying second home in joint application with my wife and will be our residential home and will move into it after purchasing.

Re the stamp duty, how is it going to work? are we going to pay 3% surcharge and then reclaim it after moving into it?

or we will pay surcharge on first property (difference between what's paid (Dec 2015) and what' surcharge in today' s date?

Summary:

Bought first house in December 2015 - £265k - paid stamp duty £3450 (i think) - converting this into buy to let with Halifax - Consent to lease option.

Buying 2nd home circa £400k - this will be our main residential property.

happy to provide further information if required, looking forward :)

Jibran

AGoodman

Re: LET TO BUY

Postby AGoodman » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:29 pm

You will pay the surcharge on the new property and will not be able to reclaim it as you are not disposing of your former home

Return to “Property Taxation”