This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Loan agreement/ charge on property

tootaxing
Loan agreement/ charge on property

Postby tootaxing » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:46 pm

My mother is moving to be closer to us in her final years, she is 80, and my sister and I will be lending her approx 70% of the purchase price in unequal shares.

We would like to get back at least our initial loan and a proportion of any increase if the proprty is sold.

1. is it possinle to draw up such an agreement?
2. what are the tax implications?
3. is a charge on the property the best way to protect our interests?
4. can a charge on a property be proportional rather than a monetary value? would this negate the need for a loan agreement?
5. can we charge interest to cover the lost interest on the money we are lending? understand this would attract income tax, but so does the interest we get now.

bd6759

Re: Loan agreement/ charge on property

Postby bd6759 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:16 am

1. Yes

2. Depends on the agreement and who will own the property. If you are to benefit from the increased value it can be argued that you have a beneficial interest in it. This has SDLT and CGT issues. Might be worth considering asking your mother to will the property to you and your sister in the same unequal shares. You then inherit the property at its increased value.

3 Yes, especially if you don't trust your mother or sister. Otherwise the agreement will suffice.

4. As 3

5. You want to charge your mother interest and receive the increase in value?

You should speak with a tax advisor to structure this efficiently.

Return to “Property Taxation”