This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Loan amounts and info in records for tax return

Mattyale1985
Loan amounts and info in records for tax return

Postby Mattyale1985 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:54 pm

Hi all,

I have been self employed (sole trader, no employees) for approx 4 years and each year do an HMRC return online.

The business is run from a business address, not from home.

For my own information I keep all my receipts etc in monthly folders for ease of reference.

I use simple calculations for fuel (i.e. pence per mile without claiming for repairs, parts etc) and use cash basis for everything else just to keep things straightforward.

I have never applied for a business loan but am thinking of doing so using Paypal in the near future.

If I did so, what can I claim expenses on and how would I keep a record of it all?

Paypal Working Capital is different to other loans as there is a fixed fee for the loan known to the borrower upfront, no early repayment fee and no set loan period as the monies are taken from your Paypal balance at an agreed percentage each day (no payment taken on days where no income hits your account).

The percentage taken determines the agreed upfront fee.

For example, if Paypal loaned me £3000 with a fixed fee of £300 which was all administrated and paid back within the same tax year, how would I note all this down?

Or - if Paypal loaned me £3000 with a fixed fee of £300 which was administrated to begin with in one tax year but not fully repaid until part way through the next tax year, how would this scenario differ in terms of amounts noted down and amount(s) claimed?

I would of course keep a record of what stock I had purchased using the funds as I normally would, i.e. receipts for everything purchased.

Thanks in advance,
Matt.

pawncob

Re: Loan amounts and info in records for tax return

Postby pawncob » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:10 pm

Only the interest (and associated costs) are tax deductible.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “HMRC Administration, Practices & Methods”