This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

long term cgt on given property

Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:16 pm

long term cgt on given property

Postby pujol » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:34 pm

Parents(deceased) gave sister and i property 10 yrs ago. I am disabled and amount will make me ineligable for programs. I owe her most of my part. Could I quick deed it to her and she be sole seller? She could have excess amount for taxes. Est cgt $50k. Open to all suggestions.
Your help is greatly appreciated.

Posts: 7283
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: long term cgt on given property

Postby maths » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:22 pm

Not quite sure what's going on?

If you and sister were jointly given the property by parents and you/sister didn't live in it then on a gift of your share to sister you will have a CGT liability. She will then own it.

Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:09 pm

Re: long term cgt on given property

Postby darthblingbling » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:29 pm

As you are using terms such as $ and 'long term' I'm guessing this is a US tax issue and not UK?
Trainee tax professional working for a CTA/ATT qualified professional
EDA Professional Services - UK/US Tax experts

Posts: 176
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: long term cgt on given property

Postby DavidTreitel » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:27 pm

I concur. A quit claim deed is an American term. What has this question to do with UK tax?

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”