This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

LTT/Stamp Duty advice please

daf1999
LTT/Stamp Duty advice please

Postby daf1999 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:47 am

I am about to purchase a main residence with my wife for the 1st time. We currently reside in her house (and have done for 10years +).

I am on the deeds for my mothers flat (along with my mother as joint owners), which I haven't lived in for over 20 years - i'm on the deeds and mortgage as it was a right-to-buy council house and she would have struggled to have got a mortgage on her own being elderly etc. The flat is worth around £90k I would think.

So, on the face of it, it looks like I would be liable to the higher 3% rate of LTT. Would any of these options avoid this liability?

a) lessening my share of my mother's flat so my interest goes below £40k value (e.g. 25% me, 75% her)
b) gifting my share of the flat to my mother or daughter
c) declaration that I didnt pay any consideration and only went on deeds to assist elderly mother prop up her property etc

or anything else?

maths

Re: LTT/Stamp Duty advice please

Postby maths » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:38 pm

As one main residence is being replaced with another the 3% charge should not arise.

daf1999

Re: LTT/Stamp Duty advice please

Postby daf1999 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:01 pm

As one main residence is being replaced with another the 3% charge should not arise.
Thanks for the response.

So, even though i'm on the deeds/mortgage of another property, because it's not my main residence it means i'm not liable?

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”