This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Management fees for a Jointly owned property

phillip359
Management fees for a Jointly owned property

Postby phillip359 » Fri May 25, 2018 2:04 pm

My wife and I own a self managed rental property in joint Names.
I consider this to be hers as it was an inheritance and she does all of the work.
As I understand it the profit from this rental is supposed to be split 50-50 and taxed according to our personal circumstances. My wife is self employed on a low salary and pays 20% whereas I am into the 40% band.

My question is, as she manages the rental business can I pay her for her management services in maintaining the property, getting tenants, inspections etc out of my 50% profit as she does all the work and then have it taxed as part of her income including her 50% of the rental profit?

Phillip

maths

Re: Management fees for a Jointly owned property

Postby maths » Sun May 27, 2018 11:55 am

The profit arising from a jointly spouses held property 50/50 means that any profit is split 50/50 for income tax purposes. In this case you could not tax deduct management expenses from your 50% share of the profit.

Lockwood

Postby Lockwood » Sun May 27, 2018 1:07 pm

Not quite correct - Yes profits are split 50/50. In arriving at profits letting and management fees are allowable expenses. And you can pay yourself for the work done or by your wife or both.
Paying yourself translates into a zero sum position. Increased expenses = lower tax on profit against increase in income tax from paying yourself. The market range for letting and managemet fees is between 10%-!5% of rent. It would be reasonable to claim 50% of the range for your wife.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Sun May 27, 2018 5:21 pm

And you can pay yourself for the work done or by your wife or both.
Sorry, but that is not correct.

Lockwood

Postby Lockwood » Mon May 28, 2018 10:16 am

Are you saying you must outsource the management function ?

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Mon May 28, 2018 10:38 am

I am saying you cannot pay yourself for doing it and treat that payment as an expense in your accounts. A payment to the proprietor is a distribution of the profits, not an expense for determining the profit.

Return to “Property Taxation”