This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Maximising Lettings Relief

bustaneardrum
Maximising Lettings Relief

Postby bustaneardrum » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:43 am

My wife and I own 2 buy to let properties with a declaration of trust stating I 'own' 1 % and my wife 'owns' 99%.

We aim to sell both in the next 3 to 4 years.

Do we need to alter this arrangement to maximise our tax allowances when it comes to:-

1 - Personal allowance, and
2 - lettings relief (we previously lived in one of the properties for several years)

eg if the 'gain' on selling is £100k are we allowed to split it 50/50 or will it still be the 99/1 ratio meaning I lose the opportunity to use my maximum allowances?

I hope that makes sense - thanks in advance.

darthblingbling

Re: Maximising Lettings Relief

Postby darthblingbling » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:57 pm

CGT is based on your beneficial ownership, so yes you would need to alter this if you want to maximise benefits.

If there is any mortgage left then be aware of stamp duty

Return to “Property Taxation”