This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Moving from Abu Dhabi to Portugal

MDINVESTOR
Moving from Abu Dhabi to Portugal

Postby MDINVESTOR » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:03 am

Hi,
I left the UK in May 2017 and completed a P85. I have worked in the UAE for the last few months. I now intend to move to Portugal and become Portugese
non-habitual resident. Assuming that I remain non-UK resident will I have to pay UK tax on my UAE earnings?

darthblingbling

Re: Moving from Abu Dhabi to Portugal

Postby darthblingbling » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:18 am

If you are deemed a non UK tax resident then no, you will not need to pay UK tax on your UAE earnings.

Be careful however in Portugal as the NHR scheme usually only gives relief if the other country has the right to tax. Of course UAE does not levy any income tax, but if a treaty is in place it may have the 'right' and should allow the income to be tax free in Portugal. My knowledge on the NHR is very limited unfortunately.

MDINVESTOR

Postby MDINVESTOR » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:23 pm

Thank you for your reply. I was concerned the split year could be an issue.
Very kind of you.
I looked at you web site.
Regards
MD

AmanSood

Postby AmanSood » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:29 am

Hi,
I left the UK in May 2017 and completed a P85. I have worked in the UAE for the last few months. I now intend to move to Portugal and become Portugese
non-habitual resident. Assuming that I remain non-UK resident will I have to pay UK tax on my UAE earnings?
Hi MDINVESTOR, another point to note is that when you filed your P85, you would likely have been due a tax refund for this tax year.. Not sure if you have received this but if not it's worth following up with HMRC if you haven't.

Aman
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

Return to “International Tax”