This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Moving self-employment from Germany to UK - questions on invoicing and client's tax

Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:01 pm

Moving self-employment from Germany to UK - questions on invoicing and client's tax

Postby seapiglet » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:12 pm


I have been self employed in Germany for some time and will be permanently moving to the UK and beginning self employment there as of January 2018.
I already have my national insurance sorted and have information on everything else I need to do from HMRC. I have a set of clients who I hope will continue to want to be my clients after my move, my questions is, how will I have to change my invoices and how will this affect my clients' tax?

From what I understand, if I earn under £82,000, which I will be, I don't have to be VAT registered. Does this mean I just send invoices without any VAT on them? Will I need my client's VAT number for my own tax return? And finally, I want to send out emails to my clients explaining some of the changes that will be happening. How will all this affect them, will they still have to pay tax on my services, and will this fall under the reverse charge procedure?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Return to “International Tax”