This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Moving to Canada from UK, where to invest pension

Liam546
Moving to Canada from UK, where to invest pension

Postby Liam546 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:50 pm

I have been offered a transfer with my employer to work in Toronto, Canada. This is a permanent position and at this stage I don’t know whether I’ll retire in the UK or Canada.

Currently I have 4 UK pensions with a combined pot of £34k. I am not sure what to do with these UK pensions when I move to Canada, I’ve read I can leave them, put them into a SIPP or QROPS in Malta or Hong Kong.

I am also not sure whether to invest into an RRSP out in Canada as if I ever return to the UK I understand transferring that RRSP back to the UK or withdrawing it will mean a 25% withdrawal tax. So am I better off doing something else?

Just after some good advice regards my situation if possible?

bd6759

Re: Moving to Canada from UK, where to invest pension

Postby bd6759 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:32 am

You need to speak with an IFA.

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”