This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Moving to NZ, redundancy when no longer UK resident.

AlecTax
Moving to NZ, redundancy when no longer UK resident.

Postby AlecTax » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:31 pm

My work is closing down and I have been asked instead of taking redundancy now help close down the business (over next 6-8 months or so) and receive decent golden handshake.

This ties in with close to the start of the new tax year. As a Kiwi I am looking to move back to NZ. I noticed that New Zealand has a tax exemption for foreign earned income for returning migrants http://www.ird.govt.nz/income-tax-individual/temp-tax-empt-foreign-inc.html (which explicitly includes redundancy.)

If I stipulated a date for example 30th of April to receive payment, and I was resident in NZ from March. Would I be correct in thinking I would not have to pay tax in either the UK or NZ ?

AdamS93

Re: Moving to NZ, redundancy when no longer UK resident.

Postby AdamS93 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:59 am

Unfortunately not.

Any income which derives from a UK source (I.e. uk employment) will be taxable in the UK even if you are resident on Mars.

Return to “International Tax”