This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Non-Res, Non-Dom working full time in AUSTRALIA

hopenwell
Non-Res, Non-Dom working full time in AUSTRALIA

Postby hopenwell » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:13 am

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice and clarification from you guys if anyone is able to help...

I am non domiciled and non resident (as per the 3rd overseas test).

I worked full time in Australia and earned around GBP30,000 in a tax year, and i paid about GBP5,000 in tax to the AU government. I remit non of this to the UK.

I also have a UK property which i let out for GBP4,500 per year, which I am yet to pay tax on.

As far as I can tell, I have filled out the relevant forms correctly, using the arising basis of taxation, but the computer program i'm using estimates that I need to pay GBP3,000.

There's a DTA agreement between the UK and AU, yet it seems like I'm paying a tonne of tax.

I'm aware that it's not this easy, but I've done some simple tax calculations and I should apparently be paying something like GBP5,000 all up, so not sure why they're asking so much from me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

bd6759

Re: Non-Res, Non-Dom working full time in AUSTRALIA

Postby bd6759 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:24 pm

Don't put the AUS income in your UK return if it is not liable to UK tax.

AmanSood

Postby AmanSood » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:40 pm

If your only UK income is the £4,500 rental income, then you shouldn't have to pay any UK tax as you would be entitled to a UK personal allowance assuming of course you are a Australian National/Resident.
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

hopenwell

Postby hopenwell » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:22 am

That's exactly what i wanted to hear...thanks for the info legends!

Return to “International Tax”