This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Overtime/bonus

McNasty
Overtime/bonus

Postby McNasty » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:52 pm

I have the opportunity to do some overtime and take up some bonus/incentive payments at work, however I am on the boarderline of having to pay back tax credits if I earn more this year.

My employer has stated that we have up to 4 months to claim for the overtime, meaning if I do the work now I can claim it in April's pay.

From a tax perspective would this count as earnings for this tax year (when I did the work) or next years (when I received the pay)?

Obviously I don't want to make money just to pay it back in tax credit repayments.

bd6759

Re: Overtime/bonus

Postby bd6759 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:19 pm

Depends on your contract of employment which will stipulate when you become entitled to earnings.

Return to “Income Tax”