This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Owner of 2 student property and buying a main house

Nathan1981
Owner of 2 student property and buying a main house

Postby Nathan1981 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:03 pm

Hi I'm on here for a bit of information.

I own two student properties and live in a house so 3 properties in total I'm selling all of the houses to buy a brand new new build my question is if I sell my main house before the new build is ready and moving to rented but haven't sold the two student houses how will this affect my stamp duty.

Thanks Nathan

SDLT Geek

Re: Owner of 2 student property and buying a main house

Postby SDLT Geek » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:00 pm

So long as you intend to live in the new house as your only or main residence then SDLT at normal (not surcharged rates) should apply so long as you complete the purchase within three years of both:

(a) selling your present home
(b) the date when you last lived in your present home as your only or main residence.

As ever there are traps to look out for, like the circumstances of joint buyers and any spouse / civil partner.

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”