This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Parents die within a year of each other

Sad and desperate
Parents die within a year of each other

Postby Sad and desperate » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:16 pm

Please help me

My dad died late 2017
My mum is due to die within weeks
My dads will gave everything to my mum
The estate is worth over £1m, of which property is around £800k

Can I get a deed of variation to amend my dads will to make me the beneficiary and avoid a huge tax bill when my mum passes?.

AdamS93

Re: Parents die within a year of each other

Postby AdamS93 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:30 am

You could potentially. But as for saving IHT I doubt you will achieve your objective.

Without further information, I would guess (balance of probabilities) that using a deed of variation will increase the IHT due.

Sad and desperate

Postby Sad and desperate » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:06 am

Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

I’m also interested to know if we changed the will does the £325k threshold apply to just the half of the house that is being given to us as opposed to the total value of the property?

Also there is the £100k extra allowance if a property is left to a descendant-would that also be added to each of my parents allowance or a combined total?

IanDarkwater

Postby IanDarkwater » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:55 am

Panic not. You don't give much information but the situation is probably as good as it can be.

On Mum's death, £900K in IHT allowance will be available on her estate as it passes to you - £325K allowance from each of Dad & Mum & £125K Residential Nil Rate Allowance from each of them as well.

Mum's estate will pay 40% IHT on the slice above £900K.

AdamS93

Postby AdamS93 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:12 am

Panic not. You don't give much information but the situation is probably as good as it can be.

On Mum's death, £900K in IHT allowance will be available on her estate as it passes to you - £325K allowance from each of Dad & Mum & £125K Residential Nil Rate Allowance from each of them as well.

Mum's estate will pay 40% IHT on the slice above £900K.
I agree this is the most likely scenario and why a deed of variation will be pointless.

However, there is a lack of information to say anything definitively.

someone

Postby someone » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:56 pm

However, there is a lack of information to say anything definitively.
Indeed. The elephant in the corner is whether mum and dad were married. Seems most likely but...

Sad and desperate

Postby Sad and desperate » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:14 pm

Thank you again for your prompt and in depth replies, yes they were married. Is there any other info that would help?

AnthonyR

Postby AnthonyR » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:39 pm

At this stage - if the timings you suggest are correct, there is not much more that can be done.

However, as the previous posters have stated, your parents should have a combined reliefs of £900,000 (as long as the estate doesn't exceed £2m) which means that in the grand scheme of things the IHT on a ~£1m estate shouldn't be excessive.
Anthony Rogers LLB CTA TEP
Fusion Partners LLP
anthony@fusionpartners.co.uk

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”