This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

PET Gifts

lloyds99
PET Gifts

Postby lloyds99 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:35 pm

I have made some large PET gifts to my 2 adult children over the last 8 years but neither I nor my accountant, appear to have notified HMRC of these gifts, should we have done so?.
In the event of my, and my wife's death within the next 7 years will this cause any problem?. The gifts were all quite legit and done via bank transfer but I only have statements going back about 5 years; will I need anything else as proof?

AGoodman

Re: PET Gifts

Postby AGoodman » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:40 pm

No need to inform HMRC of a PET unless you die within seven years. At that point, your executors/administrators have to report them on the IHT return. They don't need proof, just to know the sums and dates they were made - presumably they can remember or gather that from your sons' own statements. Banks can usually supply info going back at least 6 years anyway.

If you keep the statements you have, and survive at least another two years, you will have statements for all the relevant gifts!

lloyds99

Re: PET Gifts

Postby lloyds99 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:28 pm

Thanks very much A Goodman

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”