This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Planning for CGT on renovated home which is then let

blockquote
Planning for CGT on renovated home which is then let

Postby blockquote » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:32 am

Hi,

I bought a property in 2016 for £105,000. For the past 2 years I have been living in the house and renovating. The value is now £150,000. Due to a change in circumstances I will be moving out of the house in August and letting the whole property. I read that let property if sold are liable for CGT on the period of time they were let, and am wondering if it would be prudent to request a professional valuation now to show the value of the property before it is let, and as a result of my renovation. What I want to avoid at some future date is the CGT being based on the sale price minus the purchase price (£105,000) rather than the sale price minus the value post-renovation (£150,000). I don't have many of the invoices from the renovation so would much rather get a valuation if this would be accepted by HMRC.

Any thoughts on this would be welcome.

bd6759

Re: Planning for CGT on renovated home which is then let

Postby bd6759 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:09 pm

CGT is based in the difference between the selling price and the cost. You can include allowable enhancement expenditure as a cost. A valuation would be pointless. You need to look out the receipts and invoices. Keep your bank and credit card statements showing the expenditure.

blockquote

Re: Planning for CGT on renovated home which is then let

Postby blockquote » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:02 pm

Thanks for the advice. The major costs are all listed on my bank statements. I'll keep them safe.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”