This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

DHL import VAT invoice

woodsie

Postby woodsie » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:58 am

Ordered 2 t-shirts from Warner Bros website in USA. Order value was 2 x $16.95 = $33.90 plus $23.95 shipping. My credit card showed $57.85 which converted to £30.95 at the time. All OK up to now and goods delivered fine except the package contained a "Commercial Invoice" which showed 2 x $33.90 ($67.80) and no shipping value, but as my credit card was OK we did not take much notice of this.
Last week I received an invoice for VAT that DHL had paid on my behalf so as not to delay the delivery of my goods. It appears however that the "commercial invoice" has been the one taken into consideration and shipping has been added again to give a request to pay an additional £10.64 + £1.25 admin.
The Warner Bros website does state that purchasers outside of the USA might face extra charges but then produce an invoice that causes incorrect calculations to be made.
Can anyone suggest the best way forward with this? At the moment I have bounced the problem back to DHL but in reality it is not really their problem. Am I obliged to pay DHL and then raise this with Customs & Excise seperately?

Any thoughts welcome.

paultaylor@vatease.c

Postby paultaylor@vatease.c » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:04 am

It would appear that the VAT & Duty charge are incorrect as the value on the invoice is incorrect.

You should have received from DHL a copy of the charge label showing the C&E depot that made the charge. It may have been attached to your parcel. You should contact that depot in the first instance. You will need all of the details shown on the charge label.

If I were you I would also contact WB and ask for the incorrect invoice to be credited and re-issued showing the correct values so that you can provide this to HM C&E if and when requested.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Paul Taylor
http://www.vatease.co.uk/

woodsie

Postby woodsie » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:45 am

Thanks Paul,

I am not sure what you mean by the charge label. DHL sent me their invoice, a Supplementary Declaration, Entry acceptance advice, copy of the Airway bill and a copy of the commercial invoice.
I have not had a response back yet from either DHL or WB, who I also e-mailed even though the commercial invoice was raised by a company called Fulfillment America Inc.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

paultaylor@vatease.c

Postby paultaylor@vatease.c » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:48 am

The charge label is the document from HM C&E showing how the VAT & Duty were calculated. It should feature somewhere in the paperwork you receive.

Regards

Paul Taylor

woodsie

Postby woodsie » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:47 am

Thanks Paul, further to your first suggestion about contacting Warner Bros, I received a very apologetic e-mail from them saying that they have organised correction of the mistake from their end.
I haven't heard from DHL yet but I feel a lot happier about the situation. I know its not a lot of money but once again thanks for your input.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”