This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Personal loan invested in P2P

petruj87
Personal loan invested in P2P

Postby petruj87 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:54 pm

Current economic situation creates quite specific conditions. I can take very large personal loan with only 3.3% interest p.a. and invest it in P2P with return of 4% p.a. effectively gaining 0.7% difference. What are the tax implication. Am I right to report only my gain (0.7%) and tax it as a capital gain? There are advices that HMRC considers P2P as an interest income and whole interest should be taxed, by I won't physically have money to pay tax on full interest, because I never got the money in the first case, they were only borrowed to be invested.

pawncob

Re: Personal loan invested in P2P

Postby pawncob » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:35 pm

You'll pay income tax on the whole of the income earned at 4%, with no deduction for the interest paid on the amount borrowed.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”