This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Property renovation

Sparkysean
Property renovation

Postby Sparkysean » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:24 pm

im currently employed as a electrician, I own my own home and am in the 25% tax bracket.

I'm looking at purchasing a second house to renovate & sell in a fairly short period, would I be better going self employed and sub contracted to the company I currently work for while doing the renovations (if it goes to plan, it would then lead to another) or does it make no difference? Thanks

bd6759

Re: Property renovation

Postby bd6759 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:37 pm

Why wou dyou give up the protection of an empoyment?

If you embark on a rennovation project you will be "self employed" for that project and will pay income tax on the profits. This does not affect your status as an employed electician.

Return to “Business Tax”