This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Studying in Spain but registered to live in England

Caroliner01
Studying in Spain but registered to live in England

Postby Caroliner01 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:14 pm

Dear taxationweb,
I'm a little confused about my status and where I need to go for advice! :roll:
I left my full time job as a H&S Advisor in England to study Spanish in Spain. From Sep 2014, I have undertaken 12 week certificates private courses at the Uni (sep 14-dec 15 & feb-may 15) traveling back to England when I could to be with family, arrange funds for study and living expenses. I still live with my parents where I am registered. I own no property and my banking, dentist etc are still in England I have premium bonds and ISAs that I have had for many years. In Oct 2015-Apr 2016 I got a part time job teaching English in Spain, I earned less than 1500.00 euros in total, paid tax got NIE number and registered on the padrón at my boyfriends address where I reside in Spain. I had to go back to England for a few weeks due to my fathers death so I lost my job at the academy which would have ended in June any way. I returned to Spain undertaking courses until Dec 2016, I return to England regularly, retain my professional health and safety membership and still class England as my home however I am aware that I have been out of the country for over 6 months in a tax year and I have no idea if this will affect my status now or in the future as I as am not sure what I will do once I have obtained a higher level of the Spanish language. Any advice would be very much appreciated!

RMC

Re: Studying in Spain but registered to live in England

Postby RMC » Sat May 06, 2017 10:43 am

Presumably your parents supported you in 2015/16 and 2016/17? If the 1500 Euros was your only income for those 2 years, you do not have to submit UK tax returns. Obtaining a higher level of the Spanish language makes no difference, only your income levels.

Caroliner01

Re: Studying in Spain but registered to live in England

Postby Caroliner01 » Sun May 07, 2017 2:30 pm

Thank you for your reply. I supported myself with savings that I had, budgeted well and still have enough savings to continue. I always paid tax and NI in England and I have a small pension pot from different companies I worked for over the years. I don't claim benefits, I'm not working and just studying so I guess my question is do I need to justify my existence?! I know that as a British citizen I have free movement in Europe outside of the U.K. But I don't know the rules. I have earned tax free interest on my ISA accounts and I have paid tax on savings accounts that I have automatically deducted through the bank. I have also won small prizes in premium bonds. I want to make sure that if there is anything legal I have to do, I want to meet my obligations. I may just be being over cautious however I'd prefer to check with higher sources of knowledge! Many thanks

Return to “General”