This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

SDLT

developing
SDLT

Postby developing » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:04 pm

Hi I wish to start a new business buying and selling property in a partnership with my son. I own a house my son does not. Is it possible i might avoid the additional 3% SDLT on second home ownership by buying and selling properties in my sons name only. Is there a mechanism by which we might achieve this end and are there any unpleasant tax implications.

maths

Re: SDLT

Postby maths » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:02 pm

Doesn't really make sense.

What exactly are you proposing?

How many properties are you intending to own at the same time?

Are you buying/selling; building; developing ??

What does "buying and selling properties in my sons name" mean?

developing

Postby developing » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:47 am

Thankyou for your response. My idea is that I gift my son the money to buy a house. We refurbish and sell on hopefully for a profit. I believe this is called property trading or flipping. We would only ever own two properties- one each. The point being neither one of us would own an additional house/residence thereby avoiding the higher rates of SDLT. Hope this makes sense.

Regards

developing

Postby developing » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:48 am

Thankyou for your response. My idea is that I gift my son the money to buy a house. We refurbish and sell on hopefully for a profit. I believe this is called property trading or flipping. We would only ever own two properties- one each. The point being neither one of us would own an additional house/residence thereby avoiding the higher rates of SDLT. Hope this makes sense.

Regards

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:56 pm

If you are expecting a share of the preoprits, and the return of your "gift", it sounds like you will have an interest in the property.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:57 pm

preoprits ?? I mean profits

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”