This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

German tax of deceased

not fair
German tax of deceased

Postby not fair » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:37 pm

As executor of my late brother's estate I have received a tax demand from Germany with regard to the widower's pension he had been receiving since his German wife's death in 2011. My brother died in 2014 HMRC satisfied that any tax & IHT was paid. Solicitor informed Germany of death & repaid all pension received after death. Since then nothing & now 3 years later a tax demand but estate has paid out all the money. I understand that executor is responsible for payment. How could I be expected to know this was possible. My brother has always lived in England & & his wife since the 1970's. Can they really go back to 2011 - 6 years & expect payment in respect to someone who died 3 years ago?

darthblingbling

Re: German tax of deceased

Postby darthblingbling » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:07 pm

6 years is a typical amount of time yes unfortunately.

If your brother was UK resident between 2011 and the time of his passing then there may be relief via the DTT:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... d_2014.pdf

Basically if the pension wasn't a state pension then likely only taxable in the UK, if it's a state pension then Germany has sole taxing rights. There's a further condition regarding whether the pension was accrued through at least 15 years of contributions whilst resident in Germany, then it may be taxable solely in Germany.

Recommend you speak to a German tax professional or accountant and get concrete advice.

DavidTreitel

Re: German tax of deceased

Postby DavidTreitel » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:36 pm

Did you as Executor, or the solicitor acting for the estate not enquire into any possible German income tax liabilities up to the date of death?

Return to “International Tax”