This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Option to tax

pjclar02
Option to tax

Postby pjclar02 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:05 pm

Client operates as a limited company beneath the VAT registration threshold. Client also holds a commercial investment property personally - this building is opted to tax, as VAT was recovered when the property was purchased. So client is registered for VAT personally to account for VAT on the rental income

Client wishes to disincorporate the limited company and continue the business as a sole trader, but is concerned about the VAT implications. My understanding is that the option to tax can remain, such that the input VAT recovered on purchase does not become repayable, but the client could deregister for VAT personally as the rental income, plus the self employment income combined, would not exceed the VAT threshold.

Can anyone confirm that this is correct?

spidersong

Re: Option to tax

Postby spidersong » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:01 am

I doubt anyone can confirm it's correct as it's not.

If you have opted property, even where you don't revoke the option, then it's a deemed supply on deregistration if you recovered VAT on the purchase:

See section 7.4 of Notice 700/11 VAT Deregistration:
"If then
you will be keeping the land or property, and
you claimed input tax when you bought it you will be making a deemed supply of it at the time of deregistration
this means you will need to account for VAT on the land or property’s current market value."
(Apologies if the formatting goes shonky I can't put a table in here)

So if the client deregisters as below the threshold they'll still have to pay VAT against the current market value of the building when deregistering, since they recovered VAT upon its purchase.

les35

Re: Option to tax

Postby les35 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:24 pm

I agree.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”